Asking HMRC for more time to pay

Know you cant pay your tax bill? Avoid penalties by doing this!

If you can’t raise the money to pay the whole of your tax bill by the due date, you can ask HMRC to agree a time to pay (TTP) arrangement by calling:0300 200 3835. Interest will be charged for late payment, but you should avoid penalties if the TTP is agreed before the penalties become due.

Any type of tax can be subject to a TTP arrangement; not just business taxes. However, you will need to confirm to HMRC that you can’t borrow the money in time, and you must agree to pay the tax by instalments collected by direct debit. HMRC are unlikely to agree a TTP arrangement if you have made a similar request in earlier years, or if your tax returns are outstanding. We can help you negotiate a TTP agreement.

If you can‘t pay your tax bill on time

Join The Conversation
Member of the Legal Services Guild
Sign up for our Newsletter