Could you claim a £662 tax refund?

If you are married (or a civil partner), your earnings are within the personal tax free allowance (£11,500 for 2017-18) and your partner is not a higher (40%or 45%) taxpayer, then you should be claiming the Marriage Allowance.

Perhaps this sounds obvious? Well according to HMRC, many entitled people are failing to claim it.  (You could be forgiven for assuming that HMRC would know enough about you to be able to apply it automatically in eligible cases but apparently not!)

For 2017-18 this tax break is worth £230 in cash terms.

The allowance was re-introduced in 6 April 2015 so if you have not claimed in previous tax years you can back-date your claim to include the tax years 2015-16 and 2016-17. Together with the current tax year this should produce a combined tax refund of £662.

You are eligible to claim if ALL of the following conditions apply:

  • You are married or in a civil partnership
  • You currently have no earnings or your income is £11,500 or less
  • Your partner’s current income is between £11,501 and £45,000 (or £43,000 if you’re in Scotland)


It won’t affect your application for Marriage Allowance if you or your partner:

  • are currently receiving a pension
  • live abroad but are still entitled to a Personal Allowance.


Once claimed, your Personal Allowance will transfer automatically to your partner every year until one of you cancels the Marriage Allowance or your circumstances change, for example because of divorce or death.

According to HMRC, the take-up for this allowance has been slow to gain momentum.

Applying online is easy enough provided you arm yourself with all the necessary information before hand.The URL is

Before you open your browser and to avoid much frustration, make sure you have the following information to hand:-

You will need you and your partner’s National Insurance numbers. You will also need a way to prove your identity. This can be one of the following:

  • the last 4 digits of the account that your child benefit, tax credits or pension is paid into
  • the last 4 digits of an account that pays you interest
  • details from your P60
  • details from any of your 3 most recent payslips
  • your passport number and expiry date


Once satisfactorily verified, submitted and accepted, you’ll get an email confirming your application has been received.

If you need any help or advice in connection with the Marriage Allowance please get in touch with us here at THP on 020 8989 5147 and we will be pleased to assist you.

Join The Conversation
Member of the Legal Services Guild
Sign up for our Newsletter