Image of

Brexit guidance for musicians

You don’t often see TV entertainers with crystal balls these days but it would take a remarkable fortune teller to predict what’s going to happen with Brexit after 31 October.

As things stand, the government seems determined to leave at the end of next month, come what may. Indeed, as the days pass, the prospect of a no-deal Brexit is becoming more likely.

If you are a musician or entertainer who takes part in events or performances in EU countries, a no-deal Brexit could have implications for your work. You may be asking yourself whether there are new regulations that you have to comply with, or whether there are new costs you will face.

Let’s see if that crystal ball can offer us any clarity after all!

If you travel, check your passport

If there is a no-deal Brexit, you’ll need at least six months left on your passport before its expiry date – otherwise you’ll be denied entry to EU countries. If yours needs renewing soon, it’s wise to do it asap.

Taking instruments through customs

If you travel with your instrument, you may need to apply for a temporary import / export document called a carnet. This allows you to carry it through customs on either side of the channel. This can be expensive – costs can be as high as £500 to £700 if you have a valuable instrument.

Do you need health insurance?

Reciprocal arrangements with other EU health services may no longer apply. If this happens, make sure you have good health insurance in place. Now is the time to do at least some preliminary research for good-value or specialist providers.

You might need a visa or work permit

This is very much up in the air at the moment, so we suggest keeping in touch with venues, orchestras or your agent for the latest details – especially if you have bookings after 31 October. Visas and permits might need to be applied for on a country-by-country basis, which could be a real pain if you are touring.

Driving rules may change

You may need an international driving permit if you want to take your car to the EU, or hire one when you get there. You’ll also need to make sure your insurance still covers you abroad. It’s also a good idea to check the status of your breakdown cover so you don’t run the risk of getting stranded.

What next?

It does look as though you will face more red tape and admin if you are an entertainer or musician working in other EU countries. Ideally, a negotiated withdrawal will help solve some or all of the above problems – but if you have bookings for after 31 October, it’s best to be as prepared as you can be. If you have any other questions, particularly regarding financial rules after Brexit, please get in touch with us here at THP Chartered Accountants. We’d be very happy to advise you, with offices in ChelmsfordCheamWanstead, and Saffron Walden.

Avatar for Jon Pryse-Jones
About Jon Pryse-Jones

Since joining THP in 1978, Jon Pryse-Jones has been hands on with every area of the business. Now specialising in strategy, business planning, and marketing, Jon remains at the forefront of the growth and development at THP.

An ideas man, Jon enjoys getting the most out of all situations, “I act as a catalyst for creative people and encourage them to think outside the box,” he says, “and I’m not afraid of being confrontational. It often leads to a better result for THP and its clients.”

Jon’s appreciation for THP extends to his fellow team members and the board.  “They really know how to run a successful business,” he says.  He’s keen on IT and systems development as critical to success, and he continues to guide THP to be at the cutting edge and effective.

Join The Conversation
Cyber Essentials Plus certification
Sign up for our Newsletter