Who are THP Accountants?
We are a growing firm of accountants with 5 offices located in Wanstead, Cheam, Chelmsford, Saffron Walden and City. There are just over 50 of us in the THP family with the vast majority of the team being with us for over 10 years.
As a firm we believe in putting our team and clients first, we have a family feel and recognise the importance of a happy workforce, as a THP team member you would receive a competitive salary, benefits that increase with service, great CPD and additional benefits including perk box (google it, it’s great!)
Working within our head office you would be joining a well-established team. The position reports into Tim one our Directors and would work closely with our Tax Managers across all 5 offices.
It’s not all spreadsheets either, the team are a social bunch, think end of week drinks and social time on a Friday afternoon, dress down Fridays, and the occasional chair race around the office!
Our Wanstead office is located a stone’s throw from the tube station and sits amongst some great places to eat and boutique shops as well as greens to relax on at lunch time in the summer, there is also free local parking.
This is a newly created position due to firm growth, the main purpose of the role is to provide high level tax advice to existing clients and identify tax planning opportunities.
You would also be the technical ‘go to’ person for all of the offices more complex tax questions, part of the role would include supporting the development of the tax offering by making recommendations and streamlining processes across the offices. A real chance to make a positive impact.
A general overview of the responsibilities that accompany the role are detailed below:-
- Provide comprehensive, accurate and current corporate and personal (50/50) tax advice to clients both face to face, over the phone and in writing.
- Tax matters will relate to the core basics plus a working knowledge of IHT, EMI, Share Structures, ATED etc.
- To research and suggest proposals for resolution to technical tax matters but to recognise when unusual or complex matters have to be referred to a technical expert.
- Correspond with HMRC and any other client related bodies on such matters that require attention and keep clients appraised of situation.
- Liaise with engagement partner on matters which may significantly affect the client’s tax liabilities and on billing and time costs.
- Develop and maintain relationship with clients and contacts, for example investment managers and lawyers.
- Develop and maintain relationship with those within THPs connected with client’s affairs, for example Portfolio Director or Tax Manager.
- Understand client’s affairs/business by attending meeting such as audit planning meetings (if applicable)
- Recognise and source opportunities for new tax work from existing and potential THP clients and vice versa with referrals of existing tax clients to other THP offices.
- Understand both commercial and social impact of taxation on the business or individual that is being advised
- Be instrumental in tax planning for new and existing clients
- Assist directors in continual development of the business including making referrals, seeking new business opportunities and cross selling.
- Maintain and create professional relationships through networking events to ensure referral of new work.
- To maintain and expand technical knowledge, through courses, networking and professional publications and dispense knowledge to other members of the tax team as relevant.
- Travel to other THP offices when required to either meet with clients, attend internal meetings or support with the development of the procedures and training of team members
- Liaising with VAT consultant on complex cases (if needed)
- Write articles on ‘hot’ topics for internal and external use
- Supporting the development of Tax staff within the firm across the offices (Wanstead, Chelmsford, Cheam, Saffron Walden & City)
Is this right for you?
As the go to person for both clients and THP team members you will need to be a personable individual with excellent communication skills and have the ability to deliver complex technical information in an easily digestible manner. Although you would be based mainly in our Wanstead office, you would on occasion be required to travel to Chelmsford, Cheam and Saffron Walden.
To complement the current team, you will need the following skills and attributes:-
- Likely to be of a graduate calibre and CTA qualified, although ATT and QBE (with significant experience) may also be considered.
- Proven experience within a predominately advisory role dealing with a wide range of corporate, personal, and compliance tax issues.
- Experience of providing advice related to: IHT, EMI, Share Structures, ATED, SDLT, Vat Group etc.
- Technically strong individual who is actively looking develop tax knowledge.
- Ambitious individual keen to progress within a firm
- Must have proven track record of working on own initiative but is also effective in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills are essential with the ability to know how to and when to delegate work.
- Able to identify potential issues and seek opportunities via more junior team members to ensure that THP’s clients receive comprehensive tax advice.
- Ability to see the bigger picture and understand how a particular issue or need fits into the business.
- Be positive and committed to THP in dealings with both clients and team members
If you would like to find out more please send us a copy of your CV. We will endeavour to contact successful applicants within 7 days of application.
THP operate and adhere to a strict equal opportunities policy.
FAO agencies: please note our recruitment is handled by a third party agent who will be managing the whole process on this piece of recruitment. We do not welcome uninvited speculative applications.
- Corporate tax
- Tax advisory
- Tax planning
- Personal tax
Simply fill out this form and attach your CV with a Covering letter
Making decisions by gut feel, or being led by your heart, has often brought you great success. You know what you want, and you go for it. You’re confident.
Simply fill out this form and attach your CV with a Covering letter (.pdf, .doc, .docx files only):