Image of

Remember to record your miles

One of my favourite songs that I listen to when I’m driving is ‘Taxman’ by the Beatles. It’s appropriate, not just because I’m an accountant, but because the Taxman likes to keep a close eye on my business mileage.

HMRC gets very interested in any driver who uses a vehicle for both business and leisure purposes. And if you aren’t careful about keeping records, he’ll swipe money back that you’re entitled to.

If you are self-employed, either as a sole trader or in a partnership, and you use a business vehicle for private purposes, HMRC will not let you claim the privately used proportion of your motoring costs such as petrol, along with this proportion of the capital allowances based on the purchase cost of the vehicle.

For this reason, it is essential that you record your car mileage at the beginning and end of your trading year and to keep a strict log of your business miles. This log should include the following information:

  • Date of the business use
  • The address you were attending
  • The round trip mileage
  • The reason for the trip


You can either keep a log book in your car, or use one of the many smartphone apps that do the same job. If you forget to note mileage for a particular business journey, you can trace your route retrospectively using Google Maps – just be sure to enter your actual route rather than the one Google suggests between two locations.

Armed with this information, any disallowance of running costs and capital allowances by the taxman will be fairly based and not some arbitrary figure plucked out of the air by HMRC. Estimates will not cut muster with the tax office, so be sure to back up numbers with evidence.

If you are employed, have the use of a company car, and your employer pays all of your petrol, then you will be subject to the car fuel benefit charge. The only way to avoid this tax charge is to repay your employer for petrol used privately. To do this you will need to keep a log of all private journeys. At the end of each tax year, or periodically during the tax year, you should multiply the private use miles by the approved car fuel rate – this can be found on the HMRC website here. Just multiply the private use miles by the appropriate rate per mile and pay this amount to your employer.

So, whatever your choice of music when driving, don’t let the taxman take more than his share. Log those miles!

Avatar for Mark Boulter
About Mark Boulter

Mark Boulter is responsible for the efficient running of the firm’s infrastructure, and ensuring that THP delivers the best client service. Promoting the vision and culture across all branches, people are the key: “I like people who have a fresh approach and I’m happy for them to run with their ideas,” he says.

Communication across departments is crucial and Mark pioneers this. He ensure that people and departments not only talk to each other, but that they share ideas– whether they’re about marketing, finance, sales, strategy or any other topic that can result in us offering a better service. “I think helping to develop the next generation of THP people is essential to our success,” Mark adds. “We’ve a lot of talented people and our way of doing things increasingly attracts ambitious newcomers who are looking for a fresh approach. That’s good for us and even better news for our clients.”

Join The Conversation
Cyber Essentials Plus certification
Sign up for our Newsletter